Saturday, March 13, 2010

Iron Trumps Plastic

To the sons and daughters of American woodworking and beyond: Greetings. On occasion I will attempt to critique some of the tools in my shop. This is not a comparison; just one man’s opinion.

Allow me to begin with some background (circa 1998): In dire need of a band saw with re-saw capability, I purchased a 20” American-made band saw from a well-known manufacturer/trusted retailer. After my acquisition was firmly ensconced within my shop building, I became aware that all was not as it should be. Among other troublesome defects, I found cracks in the wheel castings, and realized that I could not adjust the saw wheels into the same plane (coplaner). This saw was the equivalent of a sheet metal and plastic train wreck. After much consternation, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, I returned the band saw to the manufacturer in question and never looked back.

Fast forward three months: Because of a solid recommendation from James Krenov, I began to consider the possibility of owning a vintage saw. The saw in question was none other than the Yates American Y-20. Few things in this life are as good as advertised. This one is!!! The Yates Y-20 is a tour de force of light industrial machinery (light as in 1150 lbs); a virtual battleship in terms of construction. The heart of the saw is a one-piece iron casting. The motor is a 1 hp, 3 phase brute, which dwarfs all other motors in my shop. The massive bottom cast iron flywheel is mounted directly to the motor. No flimsy belts allowed. The table is –you guessed it- heavy cast iron, 26” square, and will tilt to 45 degrees; able to cut those pesky bevels at a single bound. Saw capacity is 19”, with a 10” re-saw. (Refer to previous blog for photos).
Suffice it to say, this saw met and exceeded my expectations. Therefore, if you are in the market for a band saw or just want to upgrade your current machinery, you may want to consider a vintage piece of equipment, such as the Y-20 Yates American. It’ll treat ya right.

Today in My Shop
After building eleven drawers for my router table, I faced the frames and will add inset drawer fronts. Photographs are forthcoming. Estimated time of completion: one week.

Sidenote
After 30 years of wedded bliss to the love of my life, I am firmly convinced she’s the one for me. March 14, 1980 - March 14, 2010.

Remember: Quality trumps speed (as iron trumps plastic).

WOODUS HACCUS MAXIMUS

No comments:

Post a Comment