Friday, March 5, 2010

Decisions, decisions...

To members of the clan of virtual woodworkers worldwide: Greetings.

I find myself in a predicament. A dilemma, if you will… (that’s dilemma with a long ‘i’); a disturbing quandary. With the emergence of the new router table in my shop, I find I must purchase one of two options. Option 1: The Triton 2 ¼ Hp router, that appears to be perfectly suited to upside down routing, as seen in Fine Woodworking #189. Option 2: A router lift by Bench Dog, the Prolift, as seen in Fine Woodworking #155. For those unfamiliar with a router lift, you must provide your own router. Each of these options appear to be highly effective. Both allow one to change bits above the table; a vast improvement over dated versions.

Members of my woodworking co-op (no finer people on God’s green earth and all former industrial arts teachers) have purchased and used the Triton system with good result. In the beginning, I was leaning favorably to the Bench Dog experience. Yet the co-op is pressuring me to follow their lead. I’m trying to hold out as the last bastion of individualism. However, the collective soul’s mantra is “Assimilation is inevitable.”

Therefore, if any of you have used either the Triton system or the Bench Dog system, I would covet your experiences. Also, if you have a preference, please give details as to why.

Today in My Shop
My router table is in the midst of metamorphosis. I started with eight drawers, which evolved to ten, and finally stopped at eleven. I can’t tell you how many sheets of plywood I’ve used so far, but suffice it to say, this will be a stationary piece of equipment, with lots of storage. The table will resemble a “bird farm” - that’s navy-speak for an aircraft carrier. I will use bass wood to face the frames and the drawer fronts. The drawers will run on full extension heavy-duty drawer slides. Completion date is still currently unknown. If you still find yourself without a router table, go forth boldly and build. For this is your destiny!



Remember: Quality trumps speed.

Pontification: Steely Dan’s “Reeling in the Years” guitar intro is superlative.

THE HACK-MEISTER

No comments:

Post a Comment